Thursday, April 30, 2015

Book Review: Fate by Nicole Dykes

I was sent Fate from Nicole in return for a book review. I will review this book honestly, and without bias. Although I attempt to steer clear of spoilers, some of the discussion about the book may tread close to spoiler town. Please read with caution if you do not want to read any spoilers.
This is the second book of the Soulmates series. I recommend reading Soulmates first, however, I am advised by the author that you can read the novel as a stand alone (but she too suggests reading Fate after Soulmates). As the book is a retelling and is essentially the same story as Soulmates (but told by Jake's POV) I will not attempt to explain themes the book explores as I do not want to sound repetitive. However, I do suggest you read my review on Soulmates, as obviously the same themes emerge within Fate.
http://thequirkymusingsofamissyunderstood.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/book-review-soulmates-by-nicole-dykes.html

Published: April 16th 2015 by Nicole Dykes
Page Length:132 Pages (Kindle edition)
Series: Book #2 Soulmate Series
Written in the POV of Jake (Soulmates is written in the POV of Maddie)



I think it is important to first start by saying that Nicole sent me Fate after first asking if I was okay that the book would have explicit scenes and contains strong language. Obviously, I had no issue with this, but I think it is appropriate to state, as the characters in the book are more of a younger age (12-17), yet the book may not be appropriate for an audience of that age to read (although it may well be suitable also I just think it is important to mention). In saying this, I feel that themes that emerge in the book are around 'coming of age', and could be relatable to a younger audience.

I found this book to give more character depth to Jake- whom I previously could not decide whether I liked or hated in Soulmates. I think it was a really great idea for the author to present the same story from a different POV. In Soulmates I found Jake to be basically a mean person. He was often portrayed as intentionally cruel by Maddie, but I formed a different perspective when looking at things through his eyes. I believe Jake struggles too express his emotions. What comes across as harsh may actually be a defense mechanism to cover up the hurt he is actually feeling. It was a great experience to get inside of Jake's head, as I got too see a side that he generally hides away from.

The lesson I was reminded of when reading this book-
'Dont Judge A Book By It's Cover'

Keep your eyes open for the next book in the Soulmates series; Rebound told from Ryan's perspective. I think Rebound will be quite different from Soulmates and Fate in the fact that Ryan is not in the Soulmate and Fate much... I am very much looking forward to the next book.

5/5 Kudos to the Author :)

Dont forget to leave a comment, and check out my other blogs (in particular the review on Soulmates)

Love Mis(sy)Understood x

1 comment:

  1. Another excellent review! I loved how you explained the book without giving anything away. Sometimes that's really tough. It was really well written! Can't wait to read more of your awesome reviews!

    ReplyDelete